All About News

celebrities, music, movies, sports, entertainment, automotive, technology..

This time, last year, Angela Rynicki was in bad financial shape.

"I was behind in my rent, my utilities were shut off, and I wasn't driving my vehicle due to the fact I didn't have car insurance on it," said Rynicki.

Needing a help up, she called 211 and discovered she was eligible for the earned income tax credit. That meant $1,900 dollars in the bank.

"The EITC made it possible for me to catch my bills up, pay my landload up, pay my shutoffs and I paid six months in car insurance," she said.

Thousands of Michigan workers could be eligible for the tax credit and not know it. They could be missing out on federal credits up to $5,751 dollars and state credits up to $1,150 dollars. Eligibility is based on your income and family size.

"If you can get a few hundred extra dollars back into your pocket, it means being able to catch up on your rent, utility bills, buy some food for your kids," said Gilda Jacobs, CEO of the Michigan League for Human Services.

These are folks that need to go spend those dollars at the grocery store, the restaurant, Consumers Energy, Board of Water and Light, so it comes right back and builds our community instantly," said Ingham County Treasurer Eric Schertzing.

Governor Snyder originally wanted to get rid of the state credit, but agreed instead to reduce it. Last year families got $430 on average from the Michigan EITC. This year they'll get between $130 to $140.

To make sure you get all the credit you deserve, there are "Show Me The Money" Day events across Michigan on Saturday. Lansing's event is from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Capital Area District Library. For more information, go to showmethemoneyday.org.

0 komentar

Post a Comment

bookmark
bookmark
bookmark
bookmark
bookmark
Powered by Blogger.